Water flossers, also known as oral irrigators, might cost more initially than regular string floss. They can also be a bit messy and cause drooling. There’s no solid proof that they’re better than traditional flossing. However, some people like the feeling of water jets between their teeth, and some find them easier to use than string floss.
We have tested 20 models and have come up with the 9 best water flossers.
Table of Contents
- 9 Best Water Flossers
- How to Choose the Best Water Flosser
- How do water flossers work?
- Can waterpiks and water flossers damage your teeth?
- How Do I Clean My Water Flosser?
- How Long Should I Water Floss For?
- What Pressure Setting Should I Use?
- How Often Should I Replace My Water Flosser Head?
- Do dentists recommend water flossers?
- Can a water flosser replace string flossing?
- Are water flossers worth the money?
9 Best Water Flossers
The Philips Sonicare Power Flosser 7000 is a water flossing device designed to give you a thorough clean between your teeth and along the gumline. With its four water stream settings and auto-timer, it offers a customized flossing experience. Its compact design and retractable cord make storage easy, and it operates quietly to avoid disruptions.
- Provides deep cleaning without mess
- User-friendly with multiple water stream settings
- Compact design with retractable cord for easy storage
- Quiet operation for undisturbed flossing sessions
- Pricier compared to some other options
- Requires refilling water tank regularly
The Waterpik Cordless Advanced Water Flosser 2.0 is a portable oral hygiene device designed to make flossing easier and more convenient. It operates by using a powerful and consistent stream of water to remove debris and plaque from between teeth and along the gumline. Its cordless and rechargeable design allows for use anywhere, including in the shower, making it versatile for daily oral care routines. Despite its compact size, it offers multiple features found in larger models, including various tips for different dental needs.
- Cordless and rechargeable design for convenient use anywhere.
- Compact and lightweight, ideal for travel.
- Powerful and consistent water stream effectively removes debris and promotes gum health.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with magnetic charging cable for easy powering up.
- Comes with four tips, including ones for cleaning around braces and loosening plaque.
- May have a limited water capacity compared to larger, countertop models.
- Some users may find the smaller size less comfortable to hold for extended periods.
- While portable, it still requires periodic charging, which may be inconvenient for some users.
To learn more, read the full review of Waterpik Water Flosser.
The Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser is a device for oral care that uses water to clean between teeth and along the gumline. It comes with different tips for various needs, like removing plaque, cleaning around braces, and more. You fill the reservoir with water, select the pressure setting, and aim the tip at your teeth and gums to remove debris and bacteria.
- Versatile tips for different oral care needs.
- Large reservoir provides ample flossing time.
- Adjustable pressure settings for comfort.
- Efficiently removes debris and plaque.
- Available in multiple colors to match bathroom decor.
- Takes up countertop space.
- Not as portable as traditional floss.
- Requires access to power and water source.
The Waterpik ION Water Flosser is a countertop oral care device designed to effectively clean between teeth using a stream of water. It operates quietly and features a retractable hose for convenience. With a rechargeable battery, it can be used cordlessly for added flexibility. The flosser comes with six interchangeable tips, including one for braces, catering to various oral care needs.
- Affordable yet effective option for top-tier flossing.
- Operates quietly for a peaceful experience.
- Retractable hose keeps countertop tidy.
- Rechargeable battery enables cordless use.
- Versatile tips, including one for braces.
- Painless and effective in hard-to-reach areas.
- Some users may prefer a smaller, more portable design.
- Limited color options may not suit all preferences.
The Waterpik Cordless Express Water Flosser is a portable dental tool designed for easy teeth cleaning, especially when you’re on the move. It operates without cords, running on three AA batteries. The flosser has two pressure settings to suit different preferences, and its compact size makes it convenient for travel. You fill the removable five-ounce water tank, and the flosser shoots a stream of water between your teeth to remove plaque and debris.
- Compact size, ideal for travel and small bathrooms.
- Easy to use with two pressure settings.
- Runs on three AA batteries, no need for a charger.
- Removable water tank is dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning.
- Smaller water tank may require more frequent refills.
- Limited to two pressure settings.
The SmileDirectClub Large Tank Water Flosser is a convenient and affordable tool for improving oral hygiene. Priced at $40, it offers a budget-friendly option without compromising on performance. Its cordless design makes it easy to use, and it can even be used in the shower. The flosser features a large water tank, reducing the need for frequent refills and allowing for longer flossing sessions. With a strong water stream, it effectively removes debris and plaque, promoting cleaner teeth and healthier gums.
- Affordable price
- Cordless design for convenience.
- Can be used in the shower.
- Large water tank reduces refill frequency.
- Effective in removing debris and plaque for cleaner teeth and healthier gums.
- The uniquely shaped water reservoir can be tricky to clean.
The Perfect Smile Water Flosser is a modern dental tool that boosts oral hygiene by using a focused stream of water to clean between teeth and along the gumline, removing plaque, debris, and bacteria effectively. It operates by filling a reservoir with water, which is then propelled through a specialized nozzle at controlled pressure levels. This pressurized water stream reaches areas that traditional floss might miss, ensuring a thorough cleaning experience.
- Effective plaque removal
- Customizable pressure settings
- Easy to use
- Suitable for dental work
- Compact design
- Water consumption might be high
- Requires electricity to operate
To learn more, read the full review of Perfect Smile Water Flosser.
The FlossyFresh Water Flosser is a modern oral hygiene device that uses a powerful stream of water to clean between teeth and along the gumline. It features a water tank and nozzle attachment, allowing users to fill the tank with water or mouthwash for added freshness. When activated, the device propels a controlled stream of water through the nozzle, providing a thorough and refreshing clean. Users can adjust the water pressure to their preference for a comfortable experience.
- Effectively removes plaque and debris
- Customizable water pressure settings
- Convenient for maintaining oral hygiene
- Suitable for individuals with braces
- Requires water or mouthwash to operate
- Less portable compared to traditional floss
To learn more, read the full review of FlossyFresh Water Flosser.
The Tuski Water Flosser is a modern dental tool that uses water to clean between teeth and gums, improving oral hygiene. It works by emitting a powerful stream of water through a 360° adjustable nozzle, effectively reaching all areas of the mouth. This targeted approach removes food particles and plaque without causing discomfort or irritation.
- Effective cleaning between teeth and along the gumline.
- Suitable for sensitive gums and dental work like braces.
- Portable design for use anywhere.
- Customizable pressure settings for individual comfort.
- Small water tank may require frequent refills during longer sessions.
- Initial discomfort for new users adjusting to water flossing.
To learn more, read the full Tuski Water Flosser review.
How to Choose the Best Water Flosser
Choosing the right water flosser is important for maintaining good oral hygiene. Dr. Rhonda Kalasho, a dental care expert, offers some easy-to-follow recommendations:
Stream Style: Dr. Kalasho advises using a water flosser with a steady and firm stream for effective cleaning. This helps clean below the gum surface and reduces plaque buildup, preventing bleeding gums.
Power Source: Battery-powered flossers are convenient for travel, but plug-in models tend to perform better. Consider your needs; for portability, choose a flosser with rechargeable or regular batteries.
Pressure Settings: Opt for a water flosser with pressure settings controlled by a turn knob. This allows you to adjust the pressure for cleaning areas with stubborn food or plaque, like around bridges or dentures. Sometimes, the highest power setting may be needed for these areas.
Attachment Nozzles: Each flosser comes with a manual that explains how to use attachment nozzles. Dr. Kalasho recommends the classic tip for everyday use. Consult the manual to find the best attachment for your specific needs.
By following these tips, you can confidently choose a water flosser that suits your preferences and ensures excellent oral hygiene.
How do water flossers work?
Water flossers work by using a motor to shoot pressurized water through a nozzle at your teeth and gums. This helps remove plaque and bacteria from hard-to-reach areas like between teeth and along the gum line. They’re great for people with braces, crowns, bridges, gingivitis, or difficulty using regular floss due to conditions like arthritis.
Can waterpiks and water flossers damage your teeth?
Waterpiks and water flossers can’t damage teeth or gums. They may cause mild irritation initially, leading to some bleeding in inflamed or diseased tissues. But as they reduce plaque and inflammation, bleeding should decrease, according to Dr. Bishop.
How Do I Clean My Water Flosser?
To clean your water flosser:
- Check your manual for model-specific instructions.
- Clean the reservoir with soapy water weekly.
- Wipe down the base unit and rinse the tips.
- Use a mix of water and white vinegar to clean the pump.
- Store it clean and dry away from light and elements if not in use.
How Long Should I Water Floss For?
Water flossing time varies, but aim for about 30 seconds to a minute to trace around each tooth, inside and out, as recommended by Dr. Cram and many manufacturers.
What Pressure Setting Should I Use?
Selecting the right pressure setting for your water flosser can vary. Begin with the lowest setting (with lukewarm water) and increase it gradually. Dr. Cram recommends starting gently and consulting your dentist during your next cleaning to adjust if needed. Check the manufacturer’s website for PSI range information specific to your model, although it may not always align with real-world testing.
How Often Should I Replace My Water Flosser Head?
Replace your water flosser head every 6 months on average, but do so sooner if it’s damaged or blocked. Always ensure that each person using a water flosser has their own head instead of sharing them.
Do dentists recommend water flossers?
Dentists recommend water flossers for removing plaque below the gum line. However, traditional flossing is still important for breaking contact between teeth, especially if you’re prone to cavities. Use both methods for comprehensive oral care, as advised by dentist Kalasho.
Can a water flosser replace string flossing?
Water flossing can’t fully replace string flossing, according to Dr. Huang. It’s best used as an addition. Here’s a recommended routine:
- Brush your teeth.
- Use traditional string floss to clean between teeth and keep gums healthy.
- Finish with a water flosser to flush out debris.
For most people, water flossing should complement regular flossing. But if you won’t use string floss, using a water flosser is better than nothing.
Are water flossers worth the money?
Water flossers are worth it if you have specific oral care needs. If you don’t have dental issues, wear oral appliances, or struggle with traditional floss, it might be a luxury addition.
However, if preventing and removing more plaque is crucial to your health, a water flosser is a solid investment. You can find quality options for less than $50, or consider an all-in-one electric toothbrush and flosser for convenience, like the Waterpik Sonic Fusion 2.0.