Are you thinking about getting rid of some bad habits? It’s never too late to make a positive change! Once you’ve set your goal, the next step is to get the right workout gear, and that’s where a home gym can be helpful.
If you want to balance work and a healthy lifestyle, consider making a dedicated space in your house for your own at-home gym. It might require an initial investment, but think of it this way: instead of spending hours on the couch in front of screens, you can break up your day by doing some cardio or weight training right at home. Ultimately, you’ll have the flexibility to live, work, exercise, and stay healthy, all within your own home.
To help you get started, here’s a selection of high-quality fitness equipment.
Table of Contents
- 17 Best Home Gym Equipments
- What to Know About Home Gym Equipment Before You Shop
- Advantages of Having a Home Gym
- What Basic Home Gym Equipment Do You Need?
- How Much Does a Home Gym Cost?
- What’s the Best Gym Gear for Newbies?
- Is Joining a Gym Really More Affordable?
- How Often Should You Service Your Gym Equipment?
- Choosing the Right Flooring for Your Home Gym
17 Best Home Gym Equipments
The WOD Nation Ab Roller Wheel is a fitness tool designed to strengthen your core and tone your abs. It works by allowing you to engage your abdominal muscles as you roll the wheel forward and back, providing a challenging workout for your midsection.
- Durable construction ensures long-lasting use.
- Suitable for both men and women.
- Convenient for home use as part of your daily routine.
- Effective at targeting and toning the abdominal muscles.
- May require some practice to master proper form.
- Can be intense for beginners, so start slowly to avoid strain.
The Vinsguir Ab Roller Wheel Kit is a complete home fitness solution designed to strengthen core muscles. It includes an ab roller wheel, push-up bars, resistance bands, and a knee mat. By using these tools, you can perform various exercises targeting your core, such as ab rollouts, push-ups, and resistance band exercises. The kit is compact, easy to store, and made from durable materials for long-lasting use.
- Comprehensive package for core workouts at home.
- Versatile exercises targeting core muscles.
- Compact and easy to store.
- High-quality materials ensure durability.
- May not provide enough resistance for advanced users.
- Some users may find the knee mat to be thin and less comfortable.
The PASYOU Adjustable Weight Bench PA300 is a versatile piece of equipment for your home gym, allowing you to perform a variety of exercises such as bench presses and sit-ups. Its adjustable incline and decline positions provide flexibility in your workouts, and it can be conveniently folded for storage when not in use.
- Versatile for multiple exercises like bench presses and sit-ups.
- Adjustable incline and decline positions for varied workouts.
- Easy to fold for compact storage.
- Some users may find assembly challenging.
- Weight capacity may not accommodate heavier lifters.
The FITINDEX Portable Home Gym Equipment offers a comprehensive fitness solution with 22 pieces for a full-body workout. It includes resistance bands, a bar, and various accessories to target different muscle groups. This compact and user-friendly gym equipment is designed for both indoor and outdoor use, as well as travel, making it convenient for maintaining fitness routines on the go.
- Versatile with 22 pieces for a full-body workout.
- Portable design allows for use indoors, outdoors, and while traveling.
- Suitable for building muscle, burning fat, and general fitness maintenance.
- May not provide the same level of resistance as traditional gym equipment.
- Limited weight options compared to gym machines or free weights.
- Requires some assembly and may not be as sturdy as fixed gym equipment.
The JX FITNESS Home Gym Multifunctional Exercise Equipment is a compact and versatile option for home workouts. It features an adjustable 80lb weight stack, allowing users to customize their exercises for different fitness levels. With this equipment, you can perform various exercises such as weightlifting, leg presses, and chest presses, all in the comfort of your home. Made from durable materials, it ensures longevity and reliability.
- Space-saving design ideal for home use.
- Versatile functionality enables a wide range of exercises.
- Adjustable weight stack caters to different fitness levels.
- Durable construction ensures long-lasting performance.
- Assembly required.
- May not provide as much resistance as larger gym equipment.
The ARUNDO Dumbbells Set 20KG 2 in 1 is a space-saving solution for home gyms, combining dumbbells and a barbell into one set. It allows users to adjust the weight according to their strength level and features anti-slip grips for safety during workouts. Made from durable materials, it offers a long-lasting solution for strength training needs.
- Versatile, combining dumbbells and a barbell in one set.
- Adjustable weight for different strength levels.
- Anti-slip grips for safety during workouts.
- Durable construction ensures longevity.
- May be heavy to move around.
- Requires some space for storage.
- Limited weight range compared to traditional dumbbell sets.
The Niceday Recumbent Exercise Bike is a home gym essential for improving fitness and heart health. With a weight capacity of up to 400lbs, it accommodates various users. The bike features a comfortable seat and adjustable resistance levels, allowing customization for different workout goals. It’s compact for easy storage when not in use.
- Supports users up to 400lbs.
- Comfortable seat for extended workouts.
- Adjustable resistance levels cater to various fitness levels.
- Compact design saves space in your home gym.
- May not have advanced features found in higher-end models.
- Limited workout programs compared to more expensive options.
- Assembly required upon purchase.
The Orangelight Wrist and Forearm Blaster is a compact device designed to strengthen your wrists and forearms. It features soft foam handles and a rope system with weights for resistance. By holding onto the handles and winding the rope, you work against the weight to build muscle and improve grip strength.
- Versatile tool for strengthening wrists and forearms.
- Soft foam handles provide comfort during workouts.
- Can be used at home or in the gym.
- Compact and easy to store.
- Helps prevent slipping during use.
- May not provide as much resistance as larger gym equipment.
- Limited to wrist and forearm exercises.
- Requires manual winding of the rope for resistance.
The COSTWELL Ab Machine with Resistance Bands is a home fitness equipment designed to help you strengthen your core and sculpt your abs. It features adjustable resistance levels and comes with two resistance bands to accommodate different fitness levels. The machine allows you to perform various ab exercises to effectively target your core muscles. Additionally, it can be folded up for convenient storage when not in use.
- Adjustable resistance levels cater to different fitness levels.
- Comes with two resistance bands for added versatility.
- Foldable design for easy storage.
- Sturdy construction supports users up to 220 pounds.
- Effective for targeting core muscles and achieving fitness goals comfortably.
- May not be suitable for taller individuals.
- Limited to ab-focused exercises.
The FBesteam Abdominal Wheel with Knee Mat is a tool designed to strengthen core muscles. Made from high-quality materials, it offers a smooth and steady workout experience. With an automatic rebound feature, each repetition becomes more effective. The included knee mat ensures comfort on various surfaces, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced fitness enthusiasts.
- High-quality materials for durability.
- Automatic rebound feature enhances effectiveness.
- Includes knee mat for comfort.
- Suitable for beginners and experienced users.
- Some concerns about durability.
- Limited to core-strengthening exercises.
- Requires proper form to avoid injury.
The Redge Fit Portable Gym Machine is a compact fitness device that attaches to a doorframe, allowing users to perform various exercises targeting different muscle groups using their body weight and the machine’s tension. Setup is straightforward, and users can choose from over 100 exercises, with instructional videos available for guidance through the Redge App.
- Compact and portable design for easy storage and travel.
- Versatile with over 100 exercises available for a full-body workout.
- Convenient alternative to traditional gym visits, allowing users to exercise at home.
- Cost-effective compared to purchasing multiple gym equipment pieces.
- Requires a sturdy doorframe for setup, limiting usability for some individuals.
- There may be a learning curve for beginners to master proper form and technique.
To learn more, read the Redge Fit Portable Gym Machine review.
Stretched Fusion is a versatile Pilates bar designed for home workouts. It features durable steel construction with adjustable latex resistance bands, allowing users to customize their exercise intensity. With its foam grip and lightweight design, Stretched Fusion offers a wide range of exercises targeting different muscle groups, including squats, bench presses, curls, and rowing. It also supports flexibility and agility through stretching exercises, making it a comprehensive fitness tool for users of all levels.
- Versatile home gym solution
- Adjustable resistance for customized workouts
- Lightweight and portable design
- Targets various muscle groups
- Supports flexibility and mobility
- Initial learning curve for assembly and usage
- Limited resistance compared to traditional weightlifting equipment
- Not suitable for heavy lifting
- Requires sufficient space for effective use
To learn more, read the honest Stretched Fusion review.
13. Fluidity Barre
Fluidity Barre is a fitness system that merges ballet techniques with muscle-toning exercises using a specialized bar. Developed by MIT engineers and ballet professionals, it engages multiple muscle groups simultaneously, sculpting a lean and flexible physique akin to dancers. The system utilizes your body weight as resistance, making it suitable for users of all fitness levels. Its adjustable design ensures proper form and effectiveness.
- Offers a full-body workout targeting multiple muscle groups simultaneously.
- Adjustable design allows for personalized workouts and proper form.
- Low-impact nature makes it suitable for individuals with joint issues.
- Time-efficient with short, 30-minute sessions yielding noticeable results.
- Provides a variety of exercises to keep workouts engaging.
- Compact and easy to store, ideal for home use.
- Proven effectiveness backed by science and user testimonials.
- Initial cost may be pricey for some.
- Requires dedicated space for setup.
- Learning curve involved, especially for beginners.
- Limited cardiovascular benefits compared to traditional cardio exercises.
- May not be suitable for those seeking high-intensity workouts.
To learn more, read the Fluidity Barre review.
14. Aero Trainer
Aero Trainer is a cutting-edge fitness tool designed to elevate your home workouts. Its inflatable and ergonomic design provides exceptional support and comfort during exercises such as yoga, planks, and squats. Unlike traditional mats or equipment, Aero Trainer molds to your body, promoting proper posture and reducing the risk of strain or discomfort. Setting up Aero Trainer is quick and effortless, making it a convenient addition to your home gym. Once inflated, simply choose your exercise and enjoy the enhanced support and comfort it provides.
- Provides exceptional support and comfort during workouts.
- Promotes proper posture and reduces the risk of strain or discomfort.
- Quick and easy setup, making it convenient for home use.
- Versatile design accommodates various exercises and fitness levels.
- Noticeable improvements in flexibility, core strength, and muscle engagement with consistent use.
- Requires individual effort for optimal results.
- Not suitable for high-impact or heavy-weight exercises.
- Some users may need time to adjust to the inflatable surface.
- Primarily designed for indoor use; caution required when using outdoors.
- While effective, not a substitute for dedication and commitment to fitness goals.
To learn more, read the Aero Trainer review.
The DynamiFit Steady Core Roller is a modern fitness tool designed to strengthen your core muscles effectively. Its unique features, including double-widen wheels and a triangle structure, provide stability during exercises, while automatic rebound technology minimizes effort, making it suitable for all fitness levels. With elbow support and a comfortable handle, it ensures a secure and comfortable grip throughout your workout routine.
- Innovative design for enhanced stability and effectiveness.
- Automatic rebound technology makes workouts smoother and easier.
- Suitable for all fitness levels, from beginners to advanced.
- Elbow support and comfortable handle ensure a secure and comfortable grip.
- Individual results may vary depending on consistency and fitness level.
- May not be suitable for those with specific medical conditions without consulting a healthcare professional first.
To learn more, read the DynamiFit Steady Core Roller review.
Fitnation Rock N Fit is a compact vibration plate exercise machine designed for home use. It works by emitting vibrations through its platform, which stimulate muscle contractions and relaxations, providing a workout without the need for intense physical activity. The machine offers adjustable resistance levels and includes resistance bands for targeting different muscle groups. Its low-impact design makes it suitable for those with joint issues, and it’s easy to use with simple controls accessible via remote.
- Convenient home workouts without the need for a gym
- Adjustable resistance levels and included resistance bands for personalized workouts
- Low-impact design suitable for individuals with joint issues
- Easy to use with simple remote control
- Results may vary for different users
- Not a substitute for a balanced diet and regular exercise
- Safety concerns for individuals with certain medical conditions
- Mixed customer reviews, with some reporting skepticism about its effectiveness
To learn more, read the Fitnation Rock N Fit review.
FlexiBar is a compact fitness tool designed for home workouts, consisting of a retractable Pilates bar and durable resistance bands. It offers over 100 exercises targeting various muscle groups, combining resistance training, Pilates, and bodyweight exercises to improve strength, flexibility, and overall fitness. The adjustable tension bands accommodate different fitness levels, making it suitable for beginners and advanced users alike. FlexiBar’s compact design allows for easy storage and portability, making it convenient for use in small spaces or while traveling.
- Versatile with over 100 exercises
- Adjustable tension bands cater to different fitness levels
- Compact and portable design for easy storage and travel
- Effective for improving strength, flexibility, and overall fitness
- Requires adequate space for safe and effective use
- May have an initial learning curve for some users
To learn more, read the FlexiBar review.
What to Know About Home Gym Equipment Before You Shop
Here are some things to think about before you buy home gym equipment:
Your Fitness Goals and Current Level: First, figure out your fitness goals and where you’re at right now. If you want to build muscle, you’ll need equipment with enough resistance and intensity. Having a variety of equipment is helpful for a well-rounded routine. But if you’re focused on mobility, cardiovascular endurance, or muscular endurance, you might not need as much gear.
Space and Size: Check the space you have for your home gym. Your available space will determine what equipment you can fit. If you have lots of room and want a gym-like experience, you could go for a full set of dumbbells. If space is tight, consider adjustable dumbbells that don’t take up much space.
Versatility: Not all home gym equipment is equally versatile. Dumbbells, for example, let you work all muscle groups with exercises like deadlifts, curls, squats, rows, and chest presses. Resistance bands are also versatile. If you want to maximize your workout options without spending too much, these versatile choices are smart.
Budget-Friendly Options: You don’t have to spend a fortune on a home gym. While you can get expensive equipment like Lululemon’s The Mirror, there are budget-friendly alternatives. For instance, you can get a great workout with affordable options like the Chareada 23-Pack Resistance Bands, which cost just $40. Remember, you can make a functional and effective home gym without going into debt.
Advantages of Having a Home Gym
There are many good reasons why having a home gym is a smart choice for everyone, whether you live in an apartment or a house. Here are some compelling benefits to consider:
Saves Money: While buying home gym equipment may seem expensive upfront, it’s essential to think long-term. Over your lifetime, the monthly costs of a gym membership can add up significantly. Creating your own workout space can save you a lot of money in the long run. Plus, you’ll avoid expenses like traveling to the gym, buying snacks on the go, and gain more time in your day for family and friends.
Convenience: Imagine this scenario: it’s late at night or early in the morning, and you want to work out to relieve stress. However, the local gym is closed. With a home gym, you have 24/7 access. You can also play your favorite music as loud as you want (considerate of neighbors and roommates, of course), and use equipment like chalk, which is often not allowed in commercial gyms.
Customizability: Many commercial gyms may not have the specific equipment you need to meet your fitness goals unless you belong to a specialized gym with higher membership fees. When you create your own home gym, you have the freedom to customize it precisely to your preferences and needs.
An Investment: Building a home gym is not only an investment in your health; it can also be a financial investment. Gym equipment can be resold, and while you may not get back the full purchase price, it’s still better than nothing. Moreover, certain pieces of equipment may even increase in value over time, depending on supply and demand.
In the end, having a home gym offers more than just fitness benefits. It provides financial savings, flexibility, customization, and the potential for a return on your investment.
What Basic Home Gym Equipment Do You Need?
When you’re setting up a basic home gym, there are a few essential items that can give you a wide range of workout options. These must-haves include:
- Barbell: A versatile tool for various strength exercises.
- Squat Rack: Essential for squats, but also useful for bench presses and other exercises.
- Weight Plates: These allow you to adjust resistance levels and are compatible with your barbell.
- Weight Bench: Ideal for bench presses and a variety of dumbbell exercises.
With these four pieces of equipment, you can do many exercises that effectively target different muscle groups. If you’re thinking about adding cardio equipment to your home gym, a rower is a solid choice, but exercise bikes or treadmills can also work. Personally, I use the Stretched Fusion multi-functional pilates bar for workout at home.
Remember that the specific equipment you need may vary depending on your budget, fitness goals, and available space. What’s right for one person might not be the best fit for another, so it’s important to customize your home gym setup to match your individual needs and preferences.
How Much Does a Home Gym Cost?
Building a home gym doesn’t have to be expensive. According to Elberger, it can actually be budget-friendly, especially if you choose simple equipment like dumbbells or a pulley cable system. If you’re worried about space, adjustable dumbbells are a cost-effective option.
Elberger suggests that, depending on your fitness goals and preferences, you can put together a great home gym for less than $1,000. So, creating your own workout space at home doesn’t have to be as costly as you might imagine.
What’s the Best Gym Gear for Newbies?
When you’re new to fitness, Elberger recommends focusing on three key exercises: bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. These exercises build a strong foundation for your training and help you get stronger.
For beginners, bands are a great choice. They’re not only useful for stretching but also add resistance to your workouts. Sharf also recommends resistance bands, especially for newcomers. They’re budget-friendly, portable, and allow for quick progress.
If you’re a bit more experienced, Sharf suggests adjustable dumbbells. These versatile weights are great for muscle building and strength training. Whether you’re just starting or have some experience, there are effective options to meet your needs.
Is Joining a Gym Really More Affordable?
Let’s break it down. According to Healthline, the average monthly cost of a gym membership is about $58. Over 30 years, that adds up to over $20,000, without considering inflation. Now, if you’re truly dedicated to making a big lifestyle change and want to prioritize your physical health, the choice to invest in a home gym becomes pretty clear.
Sure, if you decide to go all out and buy every machine and product we’ve mentioned here, you may not see huge savings on the upfront costs. However, the real value comes in terms of time and convenience. With a home gym, you eliminate the need to travel to the gym, gain the flexibility to work out whenever suits you, and have the freedom to exercise in your preferred attire, all without the hassle of unsolicited form critiques.
Ultimately, the decision to set up a home gym shouldn’t be solely about cost, even though it’s an important factor. That’s why we’ve presented various options at different price points. You can decide how much or how little to invest based on your personal goals and commitments. Your health and convenience should influence your decision as much as your budget.
How Often Should You Service Your Gym Equipment?
Regularly maintaining your gym equipment is important, not just for the machines’ lifespan but also for your safety. Here’s an easy-to-follow guideline:
Weekly Check: It’s a good idea to give your gym equipment a quick inspection at least once a week. Look for any signs of wear, loose parts, or strange noises during your examination.
Manufacturer’s Advice: Additionally, refer to the manufacturer’s recommendations for specific maintenance and servicing instructions. They can provide valuable information on how often you should perform maintenance and the correct procedures for keeping your equipment in good condition.
By following these steps, you’ll help ensure that your gym equipment stays safe and functional, reducing the risk of accidents or problems during your workouts.
Choosing the Right Flooring for Your Home Gym
Selecting the best flooring for your home gym depends on your specific needs. Here are some simple guidelines:
For Exercise Machines: Most types of flooring are suitable for exercise machines. Still, it’s a good idea to use a fitness mat underneath to protect hardwood or easily scratched floors.
For Free Weights, Yoga, and Bodyweight Exercises: If you’ll be standing directly on the floor for exercises, use a fitness or yoga mat, at least. For extra protection and joint support, consider affordable foam or rubber panels that snap together. They not only safeguard your floor but also take care of your joints during intense workouts.
In short, your flooring choice should align with your workout routine and the exercises you’ll be doing in your home gym. Prioritize your comfort and ensure the safety of both your floor and yourself when making your decision.