Healthy hair starts with a clean scalp. Scalp massagers can help by removing dirt and boosting blood flow to hair follicles. This improves oxygen and nutrient delivery, promoting optimal hair growth. Look for a gentle, ergonomic, and preferably electric, waterproof massager for easy use.
To find the best scalp massagers, we consulted dermatologists and tested various models for bristle softness and ease of use. Although their impact on hair growth is uncertain and more research is needed, they can at least enhance scalp blood circulation, according to Dr. Rachel Nazarian, a dermatologist.
To make it easier for you to choose the right massager, we tested various options. Our team looked at factors like bristle quality, ease of use, and effectiveness, and now we’re excited to share our top picks with you.
Table of Contents
9 Best Scalp Massagers
The Leonor Greyl Massaging Scalp Brush is a premium scalp massager designed for an indulgent experience. It features soft silicone bristles that are gentle yet effective for a smooth and tangle-free massage. Made of high-quality silicone, it makes shampooing easy and prevents tangles. Its ergonomic design with a comfortable handle allows for effortless use.
- Soft silicone bristles for a gentle massage.
- Prevents tangles during shampooing.
- Ergonomic design for easy handling.
- Environmentally conscious materials.
- Slightly more expensive for a manual model.
The Vegamour GRO Revitalizing Scalp Massager is a uniquely designed scalp massager with an ergonomic round shape and an intuitive handle. It’s designed to provide a comfortable and natural feel during use. This massager is made for distributing hair products and aiding product penetration, and it can be used on both dry and wet hair.
- Ergonomic round shape for comfortable use.
- Intuitive handle with finger-cradling indentations.
- Effective in distributing hair products.
- Suitable for use on dry and wet hair.
- Affordable option.
- Adds a touch of sophistication to your shower routine.
- Bristles offer a somewhat flat massage experience.
The Flathead Products Scalp Massager is an affordable device designed for effective scalp massages. It includes two interchangeable heads to cater to different massaging needs. It can help distribute shampoo through thick hair, thanks to its user-friendly handle design.
- Affordable choice for scalp massages.
- Two interchangeable heads for versatility.
- Suitable for both thick hair and short hair/shaved heads.
- Easy-to-use handle design.
- Effective at distributing shampoo.
- Quality may not match premium options.
- Limited to scalp massage functionality.
- Not as durable as high-end alternatives.
The Mount Lai Jade Massaging Comb is a unique comb made from natural jade stone, designed for scalp massage. It offers a cooling and relaxing sensation when used. The comb has a smooth surface, preventing tangles, and is dual-sided for versatile styling and massaging techniques.
- Natural jade stone composition.
- Cooling and relaxing scalp massage.
- Smooth surface prevents tangling.
- Dual-sided design for styling and massaging options.
- Some challenges when using in the shower.
- Effectiveness may vary depending on hair texture and conditioner application.
The Jupiter Scalp Brush is a specialized tool designed for individuals with scalp sensitivity, particularly those dealing with psoriasis. It comprises numerous small, closely spaced bristles that effectively massage the entire scalp. Its lightweight design features a convenient beaded chain loop for easy handling and hanging, eliminating the need for a traditional handle. Users can hold the compact, circular brush in their palm and use it to provide a targeted and soothing massage to the scalp.
- Gentle yet effective solution for scalp sensitivity and psoriasis.
- Compact and easy-to-hold design.
- Improves product distribution compared to using fingers alone.
- Provides a targeted and soothing massage.
- Works best on dry hair; may require some pressure on thicker hair.
- No traditional handle, which some users may prefer.
- May not be suitable for those who prefer electronic scalp massagers.
The Briogeo Scalp Revival Stimulating Therapy Massager is a brush designed to improve scalp health. It uses firm and flexible bristles to dislodge product buildup and provide a comfortable massage experience on wet and dry hair. The ergonomic handle ensures even pressure, and it’s easy to clean.
- Effective at dislodging product buildup.
- Promotes a healthy scalp.
- Comfortable massage experience.
- Suitable for wet and dry hair.
- Ergonomic handle for ease of use.
- Easy to clean design.
- Available in only one color.
- Weighty construction might not suit everyone’s preference.
The Freatech Shampoo Brush Scalp Massager is a user-friendly hair tool designed for sensitive scalps. It has a palm-shaped structure for easy grip and control. It can be used on both wet and dry hair and comes in eight colors.
- Effective for sensitive scalps, especially on thin and tangle-prone hair.
- Provides soothing massage and relief for headaches.
- Affordable and available in various colors.
- Easy to use with its unique palm-shaped design.
- Material quality could be improved.
- Limited to scalp massage and may not replace other hair care tools.
The Comfier Cordless Hair Scalp Massager is an electric device designed for a hassle-free scalp massage experience. It features four automatic massage heads with 21 rotating nodes that knead your scalp, providing relaxation and improved scalp health. You can switch to autopilot for a hands-free massage. The nodes are soft yet sturdy, ensuring comfort.
- Hands-free operation for convenience.
- USB rechargeable for on-the-go use.
- Sturdy build for reliability.
- Quiet operation.
- Suitable for use in and out of the shower.
- Heavier than expected.
ScalpHero is a scalp massager designed to mimic the sensation of human hands massaging the scalp. It aims to improve blood circulation in the scalp, potentially leading to relaxation, stress reduction, and better hair health. The device utilizes massage techniques and red light technology to penetrate the skin, with claims of reducing inflammation and promoting hair growth.
- Provides soothing scalp massages similar to human touch.
- Offers potential benefits such as relaxation, stress reduction, and improved hair health.
- Adjustable massage speeds and compatible with both wet and dry hair.
- Comes with accessories like a charging dock, USB cable, and English manual for convenience.
- Results may vary for individuals, with limited scientific evidence to fully support advertised benefits.
- May be pricey compared to other scalp massage options.
- Some users may not experience the desired improvements in hair thickness or growth.
To learn more, read the full review of ScalpHero.
How to Choose the Best Scalp Massager
Material is Key: Choose the material based on your scalp type. Soft silicone bristles are gentle for sensitive scalps, like the Leonor Greyl Massaging Scalp Brush. For a satisfying scratching sensation, opt for thin plastic bristles.
Bristle Length Matters: Consider your hair density. Thick or coarse hair benefits from longer bristles, providing effective stimulation and exfoliation. Shorter bristles work well for finer hair.
Budget-Friendly Options: Quality scalp massagers come in different price ranges. You don’t have to spend a lot; options like the Maxsoft Hair Scalp Massager Shampoo Brush are effective and affordable at $7. Premium materials like real jade stone may raise the price of some models, but there are still budget-friendly choices that work great.
Why should you use scalp massagers?
Scalp massagers do more than just help you relax. They’re great for relieving stress and can significantly improve the overall health of your hair. The key benefit is their ability to boost circulation and regulate oxygen flow to and from the hair follicles.
Dr. Batra explains that scientists have found a link between limited oxygen in scalps with thinning hair or hair loss. When there’s not enough airflow, certain hormones can build up in the follicles, potentially leading to follicle death. In simple terms, a good scalp massage is essential for maintaining a healthy scalp by improving blood circulation and ensuring an ample supply of oxygen to the hair follicles. Personally, I use the ScalpHero Scalp Massager and it really helps relieve the scalp tension and improve blood circulation.
Who Can Benefit from a Scalp Massager?
While more research is needed to fully understand the benefits of scalp massagers, Dr. Marcus suggests that anyone who finds scalp massage relaxing can enjoy its rewards. If you suffer from tension headaches, a scalp massager might provide relief, according to her. Additionally, Dr. Zeichner notes that scalp massagers could help ease itchiness and assist in removing excess dandruff or flakes.
However, if you have conditions like psoriasis or sensitive skin, it’s crucial to be cautious. Excessive use of scalp massagers in such cases may worsen these conditions, so a gentle approach is advisable.
What to Budget for a Scalp Massager
When considering the cost of a scalp massager, you have a variety of options. Prices can start as low as $7 for budget-friendly choices and go up to a more luxurious $50 or even higher, depending on your preferences. Electric models often come with a higher price tag, whereas manual silicone brushes are usually more pocket-friendly.
Whether you’re looking for a simple and affordable option or a fancier, high-tech experience, there’s a scalp massager available for every budget.
Can a Scalp Massager Make Your Hair Grow?
Dr. Marcus explains that scalp massagers may not have magical hair growth powers, but they can support healthy hair follicles. By improving blood flow to the scalp, these massagers enhance the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the follicles.
So, while they may not give you instant Rapunzel-like locks, using a scalp massager can certainly support the natural function of your hair follicles.
How Often Should You Use a Scalp Massager?
Dr. Marcus says there’s no strict rule on how often you can enjoy a scalp massage. In fact, she recommends making it a regular part of your routine. Using a scalp massager with every hair wash can be a fantastic way to unwind.
So, if you find it relaxing, feel free to make it a frequent and enjoyable practice!
How to Use a Scalp Massager
Get the most out of your scalp massager with these simple tips from Harris:
Shampoo Time: Integrate the scalp massager into your shampoo routine, following the stylist’s technique at the salon. Harris recommends circular motions, focusing on areas around the temples and neck for an extra touch of relaxation.
Dry Hair Massage: Want a massage without the shampoo? No problem! Harris suggests using the scalp massager on dry hair. Just apply gentle pressure and avoid tangling your hair for a hassle-free experience. Happy massaging!