Hard water can be harsh on your skin and hair, leaving them dry and lifeless. Shower filters can help by removing chlorine, PFAs, and limescale from your water, making your daily shower more gentle on your body. Using a shower filter not only improves the feel of your skin and hair but may also be better for your overall health since your skin absorbs what you put on it.
Researchers are still studying the effects of PFAs in our water, but it’s a good idea to avoid them when possible.
So, consider using a shower filter to make your showers more skin and hair-friendly. We have picked the 6 best shower filters for you to choose from after thorough testing.
Table of Contents
6 Best Shower Filters
The Jolie Filtered Shower Head is a sleek upgrade for your shower that effectively filters out chlorine from your water supply, ensuring a clean and safe shower experience. Its modern design complements any bathroom decor, and installation is a breeze with a simple three-step guide provided. The shower head utilizes a blend of KDF-55 and calcium sulfate for filtration, purportedly reducing scale buildup and softening the water.
- Removes chlorine for cleaner and safer shower water.
- Sleek and modern design enhances bathroom aesthetics.
- Easy installation with a straightforward three-step guide.
- Initial cost and ongoing expense for replacement filters can be high.
- Lack of independent test results for filtration effectiveness.
- Requires filter replacement every three months, adding to long-term cost.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower System is a high-performance shower filter designed to provide top-notch water filtration and additional features for an enhanced shower experience. Developed by Aquasana, a leading name in water filtration with 25 years of experience, this system effectively removes chlorine from your water, meeting NSF/ANSI 177 standards for certification. It offers various spray settings, ranging from gentle to pulsing, to cater to individual preferences, while maintaining a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Removes almost all chlorine from water, certified by NSF/ANSI 177 standards.
- Offers multiple spray settings for a personalized shower experience.
- High flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute ensures a satisfying shower.
- Filter lasts for 10,000 gallons of water, requiring replacement only a few times a year.
- Provides both excellent water filtration and enhanced shower enjoyment.
- May use slightly more water compared to some other models.
- Initial cost may be higher, but the value and performance justify the investment.
The Culligan Hand-Held Showerhead is a high-quality shower filter designed to effectively remove chlorine, sulfur odors, and scale from your water, providing a vastly improved shower experience. With NSF/ANSI 177 certification, it assures reliability and performance in water filtration. Featuring five different spray settings, this showerhead offers versatility for a customized shower experience. Its magnetic dock allows for easy switching between handheld and overhead use, enhancing flexibility during showers. Constructed from durable stainless steel with rubber nozzles to prevent clogging, this showerhead is built to last.
- Filters chlorine, sulfur odors, and scale for a better shower experience.
- NSF/ANSI 177 certification ensures tested and trusted performance.
- Offers five different spray settings for personalized showers.
- Features a magnetic dock for convenient handheld or overhead use.
- Durable stainless steel construction with clog-resistant rubber nozzles.
- Exceptional five-year warranty provides peace of mind.
- May occupy more space compared to some other models.
The GE GXSM01HWW System Shower Filter offers an affordable solution for improving shower water quality by effectively removing impurities such as chlorine. Despite its simple appearance, this filter is certified to meet the NSF/ANSI 177 standard, ensuring reliable performance. Installation is hassle-free, requiring no additional tools, making it a convenient option for those seeking a straightforward shower upgrade. With a capacity to handle up to 10,000 gallons of water before replacement, this filter provides long-lasting filtration at an economical price.
- Budget-friendly option for improving shower water quality.
- Effectively removes impurities like chlorine, certified to meet NSF/ANSI 177 standard.
- Easy installation without the need for extra tools.
- High capacity of up to 10,000 gallons before replacement.
- Replacement filters priced affordably at $27.
- Simple design may lack the stylish appearance of pricier options.
- Basic functionality may not offer advanced features available in higher-end models.
The Multipure Aquashower Water Filter is a high-quality shower filter designed to provide reliable filtration, easy installation, and efficient performance. Produced by Multipure, a trusted name in residential water filtration, this filter is known for its effectiveness and reliability. Installation is a breeze, making it ideal for DIY enthusiasts. Simply remove the old shower head, attach the Aquashower filter, and reattach the shower head. The smart design facilitates easy filter replacement, ensuring hassle-free maintenance.
- Trusted brand known for residential water filtration.
- Easy installation suitable for DIY enthusiasts.
- Smart design for effortless filter replacement.
- Effectively removes chlorine and other impurities.
- NSF/ANSI 177 certification guarantees filtration performance.
- Long-lasting filter with a capacity of up to 25,000 gallons.
- Affordable annual filter replacement cost of $76.
- Plain plastic design may lack aesthetic appeal.
- May not offer advanced features found in more visually appealing models.
The Kohler Aquifer Three-Spray Pattern Showerhead is a unique shower filter designed to improve water quality while promoting water conservation. Not only does it enhance water quality, but it also reduces water consumption, using only 1.75 gallons per minute, surpassing EPA recommendations and potentially saving up to 3,000 gallons annually. Although lacking NSF/ANSI 177 certification for chlorine removal, its focus on water conservation and stylish design sets it apart. With multiple spray patterns available, including gentle mist and strong pulse, users can customize their shower experience. Available in polished chrome or brushed nickel finish, it adds elegance to any bathroom decor.
- Highly efficient, using only 1.75 gallons per minute, exceeding EPA recommendations.
- Promotes water conservation, potentially saving up to 3,000 gallons annually.
- Offers multiple spray patterns for personalized shower experience.
- Stylish design available in polished chrome or brushed nickel finish.
- Balances performance and eco-friendliness effectively.
- Lacks NSF/ANSI 177 certification for chlorine removal.
- Smaller filter capacity of 8,000 gallons compared to some competitors.
- May not provide advanced filtration features available in other models.
The Stone Stream Shower Head is a high-tech solution for boosting water pressure and improving water quality in your shower. It utilizes advanced technology to increase water pressure by up to 200% while also incorporating an ionic filtration system to soften hard water and remove impurities like chlorine, fluoride, heavy metals, chemicals, and bacteria. With three customizable shower modes – Rainfall, Jetting, and Massage – users can tailor their shower experience to their liking. Installation is simple, thanks to its universal size that fits most standard shower arms.
- Boosts water pressure by up to 200%.
- Improves water quality by softening hard water and removing impurities.
- Offers three customizable shower modes.
- Easy installation with a universal size.
- Initial cost may be higher compared to regular shower heads.
- Requires periodic replacement of filtering stones.
- Compatibility with unique fixtures may vary.
- Needs regular cleaning to prevent hard water residue buildup.
To learn more, read the full review of Stone Stream Shower Head.
The AquaCare Shower Head is a versatile bathroom fixture designed to revolutionize your shower experience. With eight spray settings ranging from gentle mist to invigorating massage, it caters to individual preferences. Featuring bacteria-resistant nozzles with germ shield antimicrobial protection, it ensures a consistently clean and hygienic shower. The inclusion of a water-saving pause mode promotes environmental sustainability without compromising comfort. Its durable stainless steel hose and stylish finish options make it a practical and aesthetically pleasing addition to any bathroom.
- Versatile with eight spray settings.
- Bacteria-resistant nozzles ensure a clean and hygienic shower.
- Water-saving pause mode promotes environmental sustainability.
- Durable stainless steel hose.
- Stylish finish options to match any bathroom decor.
- Installation may require caulking or glue.
- Compatibility issues with certain existing brackets.
To learn more, read the full review of AquaCare Shower Head.
ShowerEnvy Shower Head is a state-of-the-art bathroom fixture that revolutionizes your shower routine by providing soft, filtered water for a spa-like experience at home. Using advanced ionic mineral bead filtration technology, it removes impurities like toxins, hard minerals, fluoride, and chlorine from tap water, ensuring that what touches your skin is pure and revitalizing. It offers three shower modes—Rainfall, Jet, and Massage—to suit your preferences, and it’s easy to install on most standard shower arms.
- Soft, filtered water for a luxurious shower experience
- Removes impurities for cleaner and healthier skin and hair
- Three shower modes to cater to different preferences
- Easy installation on most standard shower arms
- Relatively higher initial cost compared to standard showerheads
- Compatibility may vary with some shower setups
To learn more, read the full review of ShowerEnvy Shower Head.
How to Choose a Shower Filter?
Here are some important things to think about when looking for a shower filter to make your shopping easier:
Water Contaminant Removal: Not all filters are the same. Check if the shower filter is NSF-certified and what contaminants it can remove. Understand if it’s for hard water, bacteria, or other issues.
Design Options: There are two main types of shower filters – fixed and handheld. Fixed ones are simple to install, while handheld ones give you more flexibility and control. Some also have multiple spray patterns.
Filter Capacity: Expect to change your filter after about 10,000 gallons or six months. Consider how often you’ll need replacements, especially for larger households or areas with very hard water. Think about the cost of replacements.
Budget: Most shower filters are affordable, with options under $50. Better quality filters may cost more but can greatly improve your shower experience. Also, think about the long-term cost of filter replacements.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can find the perfect shower filter that fits your needs and budget, making your shower routine better.
How do shower filters work?
Shower filters work by using different filtering materials to remove contaminants and particles from your water. They use larger particles to block sand, sediment, and debris, and create chemical reactions to stop smaller contaminants like chlorine from passing through.
Do shower filters actually work?
Shower filters may or may not work effectively. Marketing often emphasizes chlorine removal, but the chlorine levels in tap water are usually too low to harm hair. They may have a more noticeable impact on sensitive skin, especially in areas with hard water. However, the best solution for hard water is a whole-house water softener, as it benefits the entire plumbing system.
Still, there are situations where a shower filter could be beneficial. If you have extremely sensitive skin, are a renter without a water softener option, dislike the smell of treated water, or believe chlorine affects your hair negatively, trying a shower filter won’t harm you.
Just be aware of ongoing filter replacement costs. Feel free to experiment, and you can always switch back to a regular shower head if you don’t see any improvements.
How often should shower filters be replaced?
Replace shower filters every 6 months or after around 10,000 gallons of water use. On average, a typical four-person household uses about 12,240 gallons of water for showers in six months. These are approximate guidelines, and the frequency may vary based on water quality and usage patterns. If your water is particularly hard, the filter may need more frequent replacement due to scale buildup.
Is A Filtered Shower Head Good For Your Hair?
Yes, a filtered shower head can be good for your hair. It removes chlorine and chemicals from the water, preventing dryness and damage, resulting in softer, healthier-looking hair. However, the effectiveness may vary depending on your hair type and sensitivity.
What Contaminants Are Not Removed By Shower Filter?
Most shower filters cannot remove bacteria, viruses, or very small particles from water. While they can eliminate some contaminants, they may not be effective against these specific impurities. Additionally, regular filter maintenance and cleaning are essential to prevent a decrease in water pressure and ensure the filter functions properly.
Are shower filters worth the money?
Yes, shower filters are worth it. They can improve hair and skin health, reduce the need for specialty products, extend fixture life by removing minerals and metals, and provide value if your water has contaminants.