Face rollers are fantastic tools that can give your skin a relaxing massage and improve its appearance. They reduce puffiness, boost circulation, and temporarily lift your facial features. But there are more skincare tools like ice globes and gua sha scrapers that offer unique benefits. Face rollers come in different shapes and sizes, designed for various parts of your face.
It’s recommended to use a face roller two or three times a week, but some use it daily or before special occasions. If you have skin issues like breakouts or sunburn, avoid using it as it can irritate your skin. Be gentle when using a face roller to avoid harming your skin’s blood vessels.
Whether you want to relax your jaw or reduce under-eye bags, the best face rollers can help. Check out our top picks below.
Table of Contents
10 Best Face Rollers
The Free + True Sodalite Blue Stone Spiked Roller is a facial tool made of genuine blue sodalite crystal with unique spikes that apply gentle pressure to relax facial muscles and boost skin circulation, leaving your skin refreshed and rejuvenated. Tested by estheticians in California, it’s known for its high quality and effectiveness.
- Made from 100% genuine blue sodalite crystal
- Unique spiked design applies the right pressure
- Tested by estheticians for quality
- Comes in only one size
The Mount Lai Amethyst Facial Roller is a skincare tool made from pure amethyst. It’s designed to improve facial circulation and reduce inflammation. While there’s no strong scientific evidence, it’s believed in Traditional Chinese Medicine to have potential healing properties for the skin.
- Made from pure amethyst, which looks luxurious and may have skin benefits according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Collaboration with TCM practitioners adds credibility to their products.
- Commitment to carbon neutrality enhances the brand’s appeal.
- Handcrafted from natural stone, each roller is unique in color and pattern.
- Priced higher than standard rollers due to its premium quality.
- Limited scientific evidence supporting the claimed skin benefits.
- Delicate handle requires careful handling to avoid damage.
The Matykos Premium Certified Jade Roller is a facial tool designed to enhance your skincare routine. It features a dual-ended jade roller and a gua sha stone, providing a complete facial massage experience. Made from serpentine jade and with a rust-resistant zinc alloy frame, it offers durability and authenticity with each kit including a jade stone quality certificate. While it may lack the metaphysical benefits of nephrite jade, it still offers effective facial massage and relaxation, though it requires gentle handling due to its softer material.
- Complete facial massage experience with dual-ended jade roller and gua sha stone.
- Made from serpentine jade, offering good quality at an affordable price point.
- Rust-resistant zinc alloy frame ensures durability.
- Includes jade stone quality certificate for authenticity.
- Lacks the metaphysical benefits associated with nephrite jade.
- Requires gentle handling due to the softer material.
The Beauty by Earth Rose Quartz Face Roller is a skincare tool crafted from real rose quartz, designed to benefit your skin. Its ergonomic design features a large roller for the face and neck, along with a smaller one for the eyes, making it effortless to incorporate into your beauty routine. The gentle rolling motion helps promote lymphatic drainage, reduce puffiness, and enhance blood circulation, leaving your skin looking refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Made from genuine rose quartz, offering potential skin benefits.
- Ergonomic design with separate rollers for different areas of the face.
- Helps promote lymphatic drainage, reduce puffiness, and improve blood circulation.
- Easy to clean and replace due to the removable stone feature.
- Pricier compared to some other quartz rollers.
- Removable stone feature may dislodge with excessive pressure.
- Limited color options available.
Velvette Ice Globes for Face are nifty tools for skincare that work wonders by chilling your skin and offering a calming massage. Made of durable stainless steel, they’re designed to stay cold for a long time, reducing puffiness and enhancing circulation when rolled gently over sensitive areas like the eyes and neck.
- Made of durable stainless steel for long-lasting chill.
- Oval shape glides smoothly over sensitive skin.
- Helps reduce puffiness and promote circulation.
- Non-slip handles keep your hands comfy during use.
- Can become extremely cold, so let them thaw slightly before use.
- May not be suitable for those sensitive to cold temperatures.
The Skinny Confidential Hot Mess Ice Roller is a skincare tool designed to tackle puffiness and inflammation. Made of aluminum, it quickly chills and maintains its cold temperature. When rolled onto the face, it smoothly reduces puffiness and swelling, providing a refreshing sensation. Its larger size allows for more coverage with each use, and its trendy pink design adds a stylish touch to any skincare routine.
- Quickly chills and stays cold for a long time.
- Smooth and quiet rolling motion.
- Effectively reduces puffiness and swelling.
- Larger size covers more of the face.
- Stylish pink design adds flair to the bathroom.
- Can be too cold if stored in the freezer.
- Requires refrigeration for optimal chill level.
The Pacifica Crystal Wand Rose Quartz Facial Roller is a budget-friendly skincare tool designed to provide a soothing facial massage. Crafted from authentic rose quartz, it features two sides for different facial areas, ensuring a comprehensive relaxation experience. Beginners will find it easy to use, and it promises instant results by improving circulation and reducing puffiness.
- Budget-friendly option for skincare enthusiasts.
- Made from genuine rose quartz for added aesthetic appeal.
- Dual-sided design caters to both larger areas and delicate spots on the face.
- Provides a relaxing and soothing facial massage experience.
- Suitable for beginners and offers instant results.
- The plastic handle may not be very durable.
- Careful handling is necessary to prevent breakage.
- Reassembling the roller can be challenging if it comes apart.
The Angela Caglia Vibrating Rose Quartz Roller is a modern skincare tool designed by Angela Caglia. It combines rose quartz with vibrating technology to provide a facial massage. With 6,000 sonic vibrations per minute, it aims to boost collagen and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. The rose quartz is sourced ethically from Brazil, adding elegance to the experience.
- Offers a unique facial massage experience.
- Potentially boosts collagen and reduces wrinkles.
- Made from high-quality rose quartz for added elegance.
- Ethically sourced materials.
- Requires batteries for operation.
- Needs special care during cleaning; cannot be submerged in water.
- Limited scientific evidence to support its effectiveness.
- Comes with a higher price tag.
My Derma Dream MicroSculpt is a modern skincare device that uses gentle electrical currents to stimulate facial muscles, aiming to rejuvenate the skin. By mimicking the body’s natural signals, it promotes better blood flow, delivering oxygen and nutrients to skin cells. This revitalizes the complexion, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, and leaving the skin firmer and more radiant.
- Affordable pricing for advanced technology.
- Comfortable ergonomic design for easy use.
- Potential enhancement of blood circulation for improved skin health.
- Non-invasive solution for facial muscle toning and anti-aging.
- Limited scientific evidence supporting some claims.
- Some claims, like toxin removal, lack strong scientific backing.
- User experiences may vary.
- There might be a learning curve for optimal usage.
To learn more, read the My Derma Dream MicroSculpt review.
The ANLAN Facial Massager is a home skincare device that uses LED light therapy and radio-frequency waves to target various skin concerns. It features different LED light colors, each serving a specific purpose such as collagen production, wrinkle reduction, and acne repair. By selecting the appropriate light color and gently massaging the skin, users can enjoy professional-grade skincare benefits without leaving home.
- Convenient home skincare solution.
- Targets multiple skin concerns with different LED light colors.
- Portable and rechargeable for on-the-go use.
- Potential for noticeable improvements in skin texture and appearance.
- Utilizes established therapeutic technologies.
- Results may vary for each individual.
- Requires consistency and patience for noticeable changes.
- Learning curve for effective use and settings adjustment.
- Some users may not find it effective for their specific skin concerns.
- Avoid prolonged use on the same area to prevent potential adverse effects.
To learn more, read the ANLAN Facial Massager review.
What’s a Face Roller?
A face roller is a cool skincare tool with an interesting history from ancient China. Today, there are many types and styles to choose from. Here’s what you need to know:
Typically, traditional face rollers are small tools made from stones like jade or rose quartz. Picture a handle with two stone ends—one around 1.5 to 2 inches wide and the other smaller, less than an inch long. They’re like mini rolling pins with stones.
But face rollers have evolved, and now you can find various designs. Some can be chilled in the freezer, others vibrate, and some have unique shapes that fit your face contours.
The idea is simple: these handy tools glide smoothly over your face, giving you a pleasant massage and good vibes.
Types of Face Rollers
There are different types of face rollers, each with its own unique features and materials. Let’s explore these facial massagers:
Stone Face Rollers:
- Jade: Known for its quick warming but faster cooling properties, often associated with luck and healing.
- Rose Quartz: Stays cooler for longer and is linked to love, joy, and calmness.
- Amethyst: Less common but favored for its supposed clarity-enhancing qualities.
Gua Sha Tools (pronounced “gwah-shaw”):
- Flat stones without handles, used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for scraping techniques.
- Offer benefits like improved circulation and lymphatic drainage and can be used for pain relief and muscle recovery.
- Designed to be stored in the freezer, made from stainless steel or gel.
- Effective for reducing puffiness and a popular choice for this purpose.
- Equipped with tiny needles for at-home DIY microneedling.
- Promote collagen and elastin production but require caution to prevent infections and other issues.
Other Face Rollers:
- A wide variety of designs and functions available.
- Some have pronged ends with rolling balls, while others vibrate to enhance blood circulation.
- Mini electric toothbrush or razor-like options cater to different preferences and needs.
While stone face rollers add a unique dimension to your skincare routine, their crystal properties lack strong scientific backing. Gua sha tools have a history in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and ice rollers are excellent for reducing puffiness. Derma rollers should be used cautiously, and there are various innovative face roller designs on the market to explore.
How to choose the best face roller
Choosing the right face roller is all about your preferences and needs. Here’s a straightforward guide to help you decide:
- If you want an easy-to-handle roller, go for a traditional one.
- If you’re okay with a hands-on “scraping” experience, consider gua sha tools without handles.
- Rose Quartz: Stays cool longer, offering a refreshing sensation.
- Jade: Versatile and adaptable to temperature changes, with a rich history in Eastern skincare.
- Other Stones: Explore different stone options to find the one that resonates with you.
- If you want a larger rolling surface, opt for an ice roller designed for freezing benefits, often with larger heads.
- Consider your budget and look for reasonably priced, sturdy options that suit your preferences. Quality face rollers don’t have to be expensive.
By keeping these factors in mind, you can choose the perfect face roller to enhance your skincare routine.
How Face Rollers Work
Face rollers work by using a stone, metal, or similar material that rolls over your face and neck. Most rollers have an oval-shaped, polished stone with a hole in the center. The handle holds the stone in place, allowing it to move smoothly over your face and neck.
How to Properly Use a Face Roller
Here’s how to use a face roller properly for the best results:
Prep Your Skin: Apply a facial oil, serum, or moisturizer to help the roller glide smoothly over your skin and reduce friction.
Start with Neck Rolling: Hold the roller at the base and roll it upward along your neck. When you reach the top of your neck, lift the roller and repeat the upward motion. Avoid rolling back and forth.
Move to the Jawline: Roll the roller from your jaw to your cheekbone, always moving upward. Keep the fluid moving outward without going back and forth.
Roll Your Forehead: Roll from your eyebrows upward to your hairline. Never roll downward; instead, repeat the upward motion to encourage drainage. Also, roll horizontally over your eyebrows.
Clean and Dry: After using the roller, clean it following the manufacturer’s instructions and allow it to dry properly before storing it.
How to Keep Your Face Roller Clean
To keep your face roller clean and bacteria-free, follow these simple steps:
Wash It: Use mild soap and gently wash the roller under running water for about 15-30 seconds to remove any residue or impurities.
Rinse Thoroughly: Make sure to rinse the roller thoroughly with water to get rid of all the soap.
Air Dry: Place the freshly cleaned roller in a clean, dry area and let it air dry completely before using it again.
One important tip: Some face rollers, like the Angela Caglia vibrating roller, should not be submerged in water. To avoid damaging your roller, always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when cleaning it for the first time.
What do facial massages do?
Here’s what facial massages, especially with face rollers, can potentially do for you:
Reducing Facial Puffiness: When used correctly, face rollers may help reduce puffiness by mimicking lymphatic massage effects. This encourages excess fluid to move away from your face.
Enhancing Blood Flow: Face rollers could stimulate blood flow to your face, potentially giving you a radiant complexion, although more research is needed in this area.
Possibly Reducing Signs of Aging: Some studies suggest that facial massaging, along with anti-aging products, may reduce wrinkles and sagging, but more research is required to confirm these findings.
Improving Skincare Product Absorption: Using face rollers with serums and oils can help these products penetrate deeper into your skin, although this is largely based on user experiences.
Soothing and Cooling: Cold face rollers, stored in the fridge, can relieve inflammation and discomfort for conditions like acne, eczema, or psoriasis, but they should not replace medical treatments.
Mood Boosting: Facial massages, including with face rollers, might temporarily alleviate anxiety for some people, but they are not a substitute for professional mental health care.
It’s important to note that while these benefits are commonly reported, scientific evidence on facial massages, including those with face rollers, is still somewhat limited, and personal experiences play a significant role in our understanding of their effects. Personally, I use the My Derma Dream MicroSculpt in my skincare routine.
How long to face roll
For the best results with face rolling, follow these simple guidelines:
- Timing: Aim for a session lasting 5 to 10 minutes.
- Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to your body’s signals. If your cheeks feel sore or if your skincare products have absorbed completely, and the roller isn’t moving smoothly, it’s a sign to finish your session.
How often to face roll
For the best results, it’s recommended to use a face roller daily. Consistency is key because the effects are temporary, and regular use is necessary to see and maintain improvements.
Here are a couple of suggestions:
Morning Routine: Many people like to use a face roller in the morning to reduce puffiness and start the day with a refreshed complexion.
Bedtime Ritual: Alternatively, you can include face rolling in your nighttime skincare routine to relax and wind down before bedtime.
The choice between morning and nighttime face rolling depends on your preferences and schedule. Just remember to be consistent to get the most out of this skincare practice.