Brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes, as recommended by the American Dental Association, is essential for great mouth health and a bright smile. If you’re unsure about your toothbrush’s effectiveness, consider switching to an electric toothbrush.
Electric toothbrushes, especially those with rotating or oscillating blades, offer benefits such as improved scrubbing technique, access to hard-to-reach areas, and consistent movements.
To help you find the perfect electric toothbrush, we tested 30 different models and narrowed it down to the top 10 options for you to consider.
Table of Contents
- 10 Best Electric Toothbrushes
- How to Choose the Best Electric Toothbrush
- Do dentists recommend electric toothbrushes?
- How do you pick an electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth?
- How much should you expect to pay for an electric toothbrush?
- Is an electric toothbrush better than a manual toothbrush?
- How often should brush heads be changed?
- How often should I change the brush head on my electric toothbrush?
- What type of electric toothbrush is best for those with sensitive teeth or gums?
- Rotating vs Vibrating, Which Brush Type is Better?
- Where should I store my electric toothbrush?
10 Best Electric Toothbrushes
The Oral B Pro 3000 is an electric toothbrush designed to provide thorough oral care. It offers three modes: daily clean, whitening, and sensitive, catering to different needs. Its smart features include a two-minute timer with 30-second alerts for even brushing and a pressure sensor that turns red if you brush too hard, preventing gum damage. It effectively removes plaque, leaving your mouth feeling exceptionally clean.
- Three modes for different oral care needs
- Smart timer and pressure sensor for optimal brushing
- Effective plaque removal for a clean mouth
- Charging indicator ensures worry-free battery life
- Not the quietest toothbrush
- Average battery life, lasting about a week on one charge
The Oral B iO Series 9 is a high-end electric toothbrush equipped with seven brushing modes to cater to different oral care needs. It features a full-color digital screen that provides real-time brushing feedback, including encouraging messages and a fun face after two minutes of brushing. Additionally, it incorporates a pressure sensor and a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders to ensure thorough brushing. Its sleek design is user-friendly, and it comes with two chargers for added convenience.
- Seven brushing modes for varied oral care needs.
- Full-color digital screen for real-time brushing feedback.
- Pressure sensor helps prevent excessive brushing force.
- Two-minute timer with 30-second reminders for thorough brushing.
- Sleek design and comfortable to hold.
- Includes two chargers for added convenience.
- Slightly less effective at plaque removal compared to top competitors.
- Higher price point.
The Philips Sonicare One is an electric toothbrush designed for simplicity and effectiveness. It features a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders for thorough brushing and a tapered brush head for reaching all areas of the mouth. Powered by a single AAA battery, it offers convenient travel use without the need for charging, and it includes a sleek travel case for portability. While not as powerful as high-end models, it provides a quieter brushing experience and strikes a good balance between traditional and electric toothbrushes.
- Two-minute timer with 30-second reminders for thorough brushing.
- Tapered brush head reaches all areas of the mouth effectively.
- Battery-powered for convenient travel without charging needs.
- Sleek travel case included for portability.
- Quieter brushing experience compared to some other electric toothbrushes.
- Not as powerful as high-end electric toothbrush models.
- Relies on disposable AAA batteries, which may not be as environmentally friendly as rechargeable options.
The Oral B Vitality is a straightforward electric toothbrush designed for effective oral care. It excels at plaque removal and includes a two-minute timer to ensure thorough cleaning. With a focus on cleaning power, it features a comfortable rubber-coated handle and a simple one-button interface for easy use. Additionally, it incorporates a pressure sensor to prevent damage to gums and teeth during brushing.
- Excellent plaque removal for reliable oral hygiene.
- Two-minute timer ensures thorough cleaning.
- Comfortable rubber-coated handle and easy-to-use one-button interface.
- Pressure sensor prevents gum and teeth damage.
- Lacks advanced features such as 30-second reminders and a charging indicator.
- Does not offer the same level of complexity as higher-end models.
- Focuses primarily on core function rather than additional extras.
The Philips Sonicare 9900 Prestige is a premium electric toothbrush renowned for its luxurious design and advanced features. Utilizing “SenseIQ” technology, it adapts to your brushing style and offers five modes: clean, whitening, gum health, deep clean, and sensitive, providing a personalized brushing experience. Its opulent appearance, with faux-gold accents, a pleather-covered charging case, and a bespoke charging base, adds an elegant touch to any bathroom. However, it may not excel in plaque removal compared to other high-end models.
- Luxurious design with faux-gold accents and pleather-covered charging case.
- “SenseIQ” technology adapts to brushing style for a personalized experience.
- Offers five modes for different oral care needs.
- Includes essential features such as a two-minute timer, 30-second reminders, pressure sensor, and charging indicator.
- Comes with a travel case for convenience and Bluetooth connectivity for smartphone app usage.
- May not perform as well in plaque removal as expected for a high-end toothbrush.
- Smartphone app functionality could be improved for a better user experience.
- More suitable for those who prioritize aesthetics over top-notch cleaning performance.
The Quip Electric Toothbrush is a blend of simple, modern design and electronic features. Resembling a regular manual toothbrush, it includes a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders and a built-in tongue scraper for comprehensive oral care. Operating on a subscription model, it conveniently delivers new brush heads as needed, catering to forgetful users.
- Simple, modern design resembling a manual toothbrush.
- Features a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders and a built-in tongue scraper.
- Convenient subscription model for brush head replacements.
- Travel-friendly size and design.
- Poor performance in plaque removal during testing.
- Experienced unexpected shutdowns during use.
- Cleaning ability may not match other electric toothbrushes in its price range.
- More suitable for users prioritizing aesthetics and simplicity over advanced features and robust cleaning.
7. Colgate Hum
The Colgate Hum electric toothbrush is an affordable option from a trusted dental care brand. It features a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders to ensure thorough brushing. With three modes—normal, sensitive, and deep clean—it caters to various brushing needs. Additionally, it comes with a convenient carrying case for travel.
- Budget-friendly option from a trusted brand.
- Includes essential features like a two-minute timer and 30-second reminders.
- Offers three brushing modes to suit different preferences.
- Comes with a handy carrying case for travel convenience.
- Mixed results in testing, especially in plaque removal.
- Concerns about build quality, including the power button and charging indicator.
- May not match the performance of higher-end electric toothbrushes.
- Basic functionality without advanced features.
The Goby Brush Kit is a subscription-based electric toothbrush service that ensures you always have fresh brush heads for optimal oral hygiene. The toothbrush features a two-minute timer with 30-second reminders and two brushing speeds, while the hygienic stand includes a drip reservoir and magnetic charger attachment for countertop cleanliness.
- Subscription service for regular brush head replacements
- Two-minute timer with reminders and two brushing speeds
- Hygienic stand with drip reservoir and magnetic charger attachment
- Handle may feel slightly large and slippery
- Cleaning performance is decent but not exceptional
9. Foreo Issa 3
The Foreo Issa 3 electric toothbrush is equipped with an innovative silicone brush head that lasts up to a year, unlike traditional bristle heads that need replacing every few months. It features widely spaced silicone bristles designed to provide a unique brushing experience. However, its cleaning performance during testing was subpar, feeling more like vibration than effective scrubbing. Despite this, it includes a built-in tongue cleaner for enhanced hygiene. Some users may find it difficult to maintain a firm grip on the handle, as it can become slippery during use.
- Innovative silicone brush head lasts up to a year.
- Sleek design with widely spaced silicone bristles for a unique brushing experience.
- Built-in tongue cleaner enhances hygiene features.
- Subpar cleaning performance during testing.
- Handle can become slippery during use, making it challenging to maintain a firm grip.
The Sani White Toothbrush is a modern dental tool designed to simplify oral hygiene. It cleans all teeth simultaneously in just 30 seconds, using advanced technology and strategically placed bristles on a mouthpiece. Simply apply toothpaste, insert the mouthpiece, and activate the device for a thorough clean. It’s gentle on sensitive teeth and offers gum massage, while also incorporating teeth whitening using cold light technology for a brighter smile.
- Efficient 30-second cleaning
- Gentle on sensitive teeth
- Includes gum massage feature
- Teeth whitening capability
- Easy to use and dentist recommended
- Waterproof for safe bathroom use
- Initial cost may be higher
- Mouthpiece replacement needed over time
- Requires charging for consistent use
- Some may need an adaptation period to get used to simultaneous brushing
To learn more, read the Sani White Toothbrush review.
How to Choose the Best Electric Toothbrush
When shopping for an electric toothbrush, here are some important things to keep in mind:
Power Source: Rechargeable electric toothbrushes are generally better than battery-operated ones. While battery-operated brushes are good for travel, rechargeable toothbrushes perform better overall.
Timer: Choose an electric toothbrush with a built-in timer that encourages a two-minute brushing session, divided into 30-second intervals. This ensures thorough cleaning of all your teeth.
Pressure Sensor: Opt for a toothbrush with a pressure sensor. It gently vibrates when you apply too much pressure, preventing harm to sensitive gums.
Connectivity: Some electric toothbrushes have Bluetooth technology for syncing with a mobile app. This lets you track your brushing habits, get coaching, and access tips. Premium models even use AI to provide real-time feedback on your brushing technique.
By considering these factors, you can make a smart choice when picking the perfect electric toothbrush for your needs.
Do dentists recommend electric toothbrushes?
Dentists recommend electric toothbrushes. Orthodontist Jamie Reynolds in Michigan says they benefit almost everyone. He switched to an electric toothbrush and won’t go back to the old way.
However, Dr. Reynolds emphasizes that good brushing habits are crucial, and an electric toothbrush isn’t a magic solution. It still requires regular use for about two minutes, morning and night, to be effective in improving your brushing technique.
How do you pick an electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth?
Choose an electric toothbrush for sensitive teeth by following these tips:
- Look for toothbrushes with a sensitivity setting.
- Consider toothbrushes with AI technology or pressure sensors to guide your brushing technique.
- Opt for brushes with oscillating-rotating technology for a safe and effective clean.
- Select soft or gentle brush heads.
- Use toothpaste formulated for sensitive teeth or fluoride toothpaste.
How much should you expect to pay for an electric toothbrush?
The price of an electric toothbrush can vary greatly. It depends on the features you want and your budget. You can get a simple model like the Voom Sonic Pro 5 for under $20. If you want advanced features like app connectivity and a premium travel case, you may need to spend hundreds of dollars on models like the Oral-B Genius 9600.
Is an electric toothbrush better than a manual toothbrush?
Both manual and electric toothbrushes can be effective if used correctly, says Dr. Schlenoff. It’s a matter of personal preference. Electric toothbrushes offer smart features like pressure sensors, facial recognition, and brushing timers, which can be appealing if you like those extras.
How often should brush heads be changed?
Change your brush heads every 3-4 months as recommended by experts to prevent bristle wear and gum irritation.
How often should I change the brush head on my electric toothbrush?
Replace your electric toothbrush’s brush head every three to four months. Dr. Vaiman warns that keeping it too long makes the bristles less effective. If you’re sick, replace it to avoid germs and bacteria, as advised by Dr. Becker.
What type of electric toothbrush is best for those with sensitive teeth or gums?
For sensitive teeth or gums, choose a soft-bristled electric toothbrush. Dr. Wei suggests looking for one with multiple speeds and settings to adjust brushing intensity. Features like timers and pressure sensors can prevent overbrushing. Dr. Vaiman likes the Oral B iO 9 series and recommends the newer Oral B iO 10 as the best choice for sensitive teeth.
Rotating vs Vibrating, Which Brush Type is Better?
Choosing between rotating and vibrating toothbrushes ultimately comes down to personal preference. Here’s a concise breakdown:
- Pros: Offers a deep, dentist-like clean feeling. Effective at removing plaque.
- Cons: Can be more physically intense on the gums.
- Pros: Feel more like regular toothbrushes and are gentler on the gums.
- Cons: May require a bit more effort when cleaning behind and around teeth.
Both types can keep your teeth clean if used consistently. So, it’s up to you to decide which style suits your preference.
Where should I store my electric toothbrush?
Store your electric toothbrush away from the toilet, preferably on a counter or in a ventilated cabinet, upright. Avoid water, electrical appliances, and cords. Only plug it in when charging, as advised by Dr. Vaiman and Dr. Wei.